What to Do if You are Injured on the Job

What to Do if You are Injured on the Job

Representing Injured Workers in Pittsburgh Since 1970

If you have been injured at work, you might feel overwhelmed, not knowing the right steps to take. At the Law Office of Melvin L. Vatz, we have been representing injured workers since 1970. We understand the anxiety workers face not knowing whether their medical bills will be paid, or whether their lost wages will be reimbursed. Backed by decades of combined experience, the Pittsburgh workers’ compensation lawyers at our firm are committed to guiding injured workers through the process of securing benefits.

Contact our office today to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced lawyer.

How to Protect Your Rights After a Workplace Accident

If you were injured in a job-related accident, you are entitled to payment for medical care and a percentage of your lost wages; however, legitimate claims are often denied or delayed. In order to protect your rights, make sure you do the following:

  • Report your work-related injury: Tell your employer about your injury as soon as possible, even if you don't think that it's serious. You have 120 days to report your injury, but you should report it as soon as you are aware of it.
  • Seek medical attention: If you need medical treatment, get it as soon as possible. Your employer may have established a "panel" of doctors and other providers from which you must choose a doctor for your first 90 days of treatment.
  • Tell your doctor how the injury happened: It is always important to have a history that connects your injury to the treatment, as this may ultimately help protect you against a workers’ compensation claim denial.
  • Get the names, addresses & phone numbers of any witnesses: If your employer denies that your injury occurred on the job, our firm will interview them and, if necessary, subpoena witnesses for your hearing.

Our Pittsburgh workers' comp lawyers can evaluate every detail of your case. We have decades of experience helping workers pursue their workers' compensation claims, protecting their benefits, and obtaining lump sum settlements for their claims.

Filing a Third Party Claim

Although you cannot sue an employer for negligence, if your injury was caused by the negligence of a "third party," you may be able to file a lawsuit for your injuries. You may also become eligible for Social Security Disability benefits. If we settle your case through a lump sum or "compromise and release," we will ensure that any other benefits, such as Social Security, are protected.

Contact Us Now for a Free & Confidential Consultation

If you have questions about your rights after a workplace accident, we encourage you to contact the Law Office of Melvin L. Vatz as soon as possible. Backed by more than 35 years of collective experience and an AV® Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, we have what it takes to successfully represent your case. Call us today at (412) 453-3341 for a free initial consultation.